Wednesday, June 29, 2011

On Taking a Break

I haven't been overly motivated to exercise for the last week and a half.  I figured my body just needed a few days off so I've been giving it a rest.  I've been tired and draggy and haven't had much energy, which isn't helping me to get back to exercising.  I think I've figured out part of the problem though.
Taking a break isn't a bad thing, but not taking one from all exercise.  It was one thing to stop running and doing high intensity exercise, but I still need to get my heart rate to burn calories and have more energy.  If I don't feel like my usual exercise routine, I need to take a walk or do something active.
And the longer my break from any activity, the worse I feel.  Taking a day or two off is okay but then I need to do something.  Otherwise it will start a bad cycle.  After not exercising all week, I've been getting sleepy earlier and I'm tired in the morning and then I want to eat more.  I feel much better today after walking on the treadmill for fifteen minutes so I know it helps.
I still have to learn the exact combination that works for me, but I do know the importance of exercise for me.  So, now I'm back on the exercise wagon.

No comments:

Post a Comment