Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Thoughts While Running

I only ran a mile and a half this morning.  It was hard to get motivated but at least I did something.  That is part of my new view on being healthy, not to always push myself so hard but to do something to be active.  Sometimes my body needs a break but I don't want to get out of the habit of regular exercise.
Since I've become a mother, I've developed a passion for preventing obesity in kids.  The statistics are staggering.  Something like one in five kids are obese or overweight and most of those will grow up to be overweight adults.  A nutritionist that spoke at a meeting I attended last week said that kids as young as two years old have buildup in their arteries and that there are eight year olds on cholesterol medicine.  We have to do something! 
That got me thinking while I was running that I'm not just running for myself but for my daughter and her future.  The best way to teach her to be healthy is to set an example.  Teach her healthy habits by following them myself.  It's hard to change our ways as adults but if we could start kids off right, then it would be much easier for them to stick with that as they get older. 
So when I'm tired and don't want to exercise, I'm going to think about her and know the real reason I do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment